Jonathan T. Amitrano joined the Law Offices of A. Lavar Taylor in 2014. Mr. Amitrano has extensive background in federal and state tax controversy. Mr. Amitrano has significant experience representing both individuals and businesses before the various taxing agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Franchise Tax Board (FTB), the Employment Development Department (EDD), and the Board of Equalization (BOE). Mr. Amitrano has successfully handled tax audits, collection matters, trust fund cases, successor in interest assessments, offshore disclosure cases, and civil appeals hearings for all types of tax payers. Outside of the civil arena, Mr. Amitrano has handled a variety of white collar criminal matters including money laundering cases, federal bribery cases, financial structuring cases and a variety of criminal tax cases at both the federal and state level. Mr. Amitrano has been instrumental in protecting his clients, their businesses and their livelihoods.
Prior to joining the Law Offices of A. Lavar Taylor, Mr. Amitrano worked as the senior associate attorney of the largest tax controversy firm in San Diego where he handled the firm’s most complex national and international tax controversy cases.
Mr. Amitrano graduated from the University of San Diego School of Law with his Master of Laws in Taxation where he was also honored as the Carr Ferguson Graduate Fellow. Mr. Amitrano graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Law where he was awarded the Corbin prize for taxation and leadership excellence. Mr. Amitrano was recently recognized by the San Diego Business Journal as a top 25 in their 20’s finalist, and by the San Diego Daily Transcript as a top young attorney nominee.
Honors & Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2017
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2016
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2015
- Orange County Top Tax Attorney Coast Magazine – 2015
- San Diego Top Young Attorney Nominee – 2013
- Emerging Generation: Top 25 in their 20’s Finalist – 2013
- University of San Diego Carr Ferguson Fellow – 2011
- University of Cincinnati Corbin Prize for Leadership and Taxation – 2010
- B.A. (Geography), University at Buffalo
- JD, University of Cincinnati
- LLM, (Tax), University of San Diego
Admitted to Practice
- California State Bar
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court Southern District of California
- United States District Court Central District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- State Bar of California
- Orange County Bar Association, Tax Section
- San Diego County Bar Association, Tax Section
- OCBA Young Lawyer Division community Outreach Committee
- Jewish Communal Professionals of Southern California
- Potholes and Pitfalls – Ethical Considerations for Tax Practitioners, Orange County Chapter of the California Society of Tax Consultants, June 14, 2017
- Audit Representation and Controversies, Palomar Chapter of the California Society of Enrolled Agents, August 17, 2016.
- Tax Representation: From Audits to Collection, Orange County Chapter of the California Society of Tax Consultants, September 14, 2016.
- How to Represent Your Clients Before the Taxing Agencies, North San Diego Chapter of the California Society of Tax Consultants, October 13, 2016.
- Tax Audits and Challenging an Assessment Post Audit, Inland Empire Chapter of the Caifornia Society of Tax Consultants, October 19, 2016.
- Coordination of the BOE and FTB Voluntary Disclosure Programs and the Conflicting Registration Requirements of the Two Programs, Sacramento Delegation, February 5, 2016
- Audit Red Flags – Know When to Charge and When to Retreat, Orange County Chapter of the California Society of Enrolled Agents, November 17, 2015
- Overview of Federal Practice, Bridging the Gap Program, July 11, 2015
- Ethics: Ethical Issues in Tax Practice and Procedure, 2015 Annual Income Tax Seminar, June 26, 2015
- Keep Out of Trouble and Run an Efficient Business, Continuing Legal Education Seminar San Diego Law Library Panelist, August 28, 2014
- Appeals, Collections, & Offshore Issues, Southern California Tax Professionals, July 9th, 2014
- Audit Red Flags and FTB Audit and Collection Issues, CSEA San Diego Chapter, November 12, 2013
- State and Federal Audit Red Flags, California Society of Tax Consultants North County, July 11, 2013
- IRS Fresh Start Program, Continuing Legal Education Panelist, December 6, 2012
- IRS Collections, Employment Tax Issues & IRS Criminal Investigations, CPA Educational Seminar Panelist, November 7, 2012
Mr. Amitrano formerly served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of California San Diego Extension program where he taught Taxation Practice and Procedure.
- The Tax Court Considers Procedural Requirements for Penalty Assessments, California Tax Lawyer, 2017
- Equitable Tolling and Title 26, California Tax Lawyer, 2015
- IRS Criminal Investigation Division Announces New Policy on Structuring Cases, California Tax Lawyer, 2014