Joyce E. Cheng has over 30 years of experience as a paralegal, and over 19 years as an Enrolled Agent. She works on a broad range of matters with federal and all state tax agencies which include, but are not limited to: individual/business/sales tax audits; all collection matters including offers in compromise, collection due process hearings, innocent spouse claims, lien discharge/subordination applications; all appeals matters, and bankruptcy discharge analyses. Mrs. Cheng strives to stay abreast of the current law, rules and regulations, and policies of the various tax agencies.
Mrs. Cheng began her legal career working for the senior partner of a Dallas law firm where she handled estate planning, probate and civil litigation matters, implemented a pre-paid legal services program, and organized and managed paraprofessional staff. Following her move to California, Mrs. Cheng worked at the Office of District Counsel for the IRS where she handled Tax Court cases involving tax fraud, tax shelters, and unreported income issues, and she reviewed Offers in Compromise for legal sufficiency. Mrs. Cheng also served as the Chairperson of the Laguna Niguel Quality Assurance Team.
Mrs. Cheng is committed to continuing education and leadership in the professional community. Most recently Mrs. Cheng was nominated for President of the California Society of Enrolled Agents (CSEA) for the 2019-2020 governance year. Mrs. Cheng currently serves as First Vice President of CSEA. She is also the immediate Past President of the Orange County chapter (OCCSEA) of CSEA. Mrs. Cheng is a strong advocate for tax change and taxpayer rights and has participated in advocacy activities including meeting with legislators at the state and federal government to promote new, or changes to, relevant tax legislation. Mrs. Cheng has also testified before the California Senate to advocate for change in state law requirements related to business taxpayers. Mrs. Cheng also has published several articles in the OCEA and CSEA newsletters and magazines and collaborated on an article published in The Tax Lawyer. Mrs. Cheng has developed and taught classes on Ethics, Tax Liens, and Discharge of Taxes in Bankruptcy to the members of OCCSEA and other chapters of the CSEA.
- M.S. – Rutgers University
- B.A. – Jersey City State University (Magna Cum Laude)
- Certified Public Manager – Rutgers University
- VTI Paralegal Institute – Paralegal Certificate, Westlaw & Outstanding Student Awards
- Middlesex Community College – Computer Programming
- Irvine Valley College – Accounting, Payroll Tax, and Business Tax
- Tax Section of the Orange County Bar Association
- National Association of Enrolled Agents
- California Society of Enrolled Agents – First Vice President 2018-2019; Second Vice President 2017-2018; Treasurer 2016-2017, Secretary 2015-2016, former Vice Chair of Legislative Affairs, Active Member of Education and Bylaws committees
- Orange County Enrolled Agents – Immediate Past President, 2018-2019; President 2016-2018, First Vice President 2014-2016; former Board Secretary 2013-2014 and Education Chairperson 2013-2014; continuing member of Education, Examination and Bylaws committees
- National Association of Legal Assistants
- Orange County Paralegal Association (Past Director)
- Community and Charity Support: American Diabetes Association